Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Biology Honors 1 Project: ALS-Sabrina Kay Parker's Story




-Sabrina Kay Parker-
Wild roses, forever remember,
The things we have done, careless together,
Never forget your wild past,
Never forget, these memories will last,
...You were strong in your fight,
But you are gone from our life,
You're the wild rose, dwindled away,
You will always be remembered, past and today,
Your courage and strength kept you here,
But even you had to let go, my dear,
So, Sabrina, our wild rose,
You're always in our heart, for the life you chose.
Love you forever, Taylor Metzger

Sabrina Kay Parker was the strongest person I have ever met.  SHe went through her life of suffering and pain with a smile to brighten everyone elses day.  She not only suffered with ALS on her own, but lost her grandmother before she was born and her mother when she was only 4 years old.  Her mother was 24 years old.  Sabrina's father remarried and Sabrina went to live with his parents Noland and Zelma Parker when Sabrina was only 6.  Noland and Zelma were hoping that Sabrina would break the families curse and she would live on a happy, long, healthy life.  But sadly, that wasn't the case.  It is common for a young paitent with ALS to have slow progression in the disease, but our poor Sabrina's case was rapidly growing.  She was diognosed in 2009 with ALS. The same year that Matt Scozzari asked her out.

When Matt found out about her disease he vowed never to leave her and walk by her side the whole way through.  Sabrina started by getting a feeding tube to pump food into her stomach to keep her wieght at a nomal level.  It then became harder and harder for Sabrina to breath and she agreed to a breathing tube in her throat. 

Sabrina's ALS was much faster than the normal, her disease was rampent and furious.  But our strong Sabrina pushed forward day and night.  I asked Matt for updates whenever he was around and I tried to visit her as much as possible.  You could see her body deteriorating everyday.  As much as I wanted to hold her it was physically impossible in fear of her being hurt.  Sabrina tried to hide her pain though, instead of atracting attention towards herself she would ask about any of our problems, our lives, to distract from her own I imagine.  Her kind and generous heart lifted our spirits in her time of need.  She supported us when it should have been the other way around.

Unfortunately, Sabrina was too sick to go to our White Oak home coming, so we threw one for her where she could be with close friends and be safe.  With halloween decorations and music, Sabrina came in a beautiful black dress and elagance that even with a tube in her thoart she still look like an angel.  She couldn't stand for long making it very difficult to dance, but we all still had fun.  Sadly to say.....this was the last time I saw Sabrina alive.  I was unable to make it to her and Matt's wedding.  But I have heard that it was amazing and I hope her memories will fallow her greatly.

On November 30th, I went to school expecting a normal day.  It was the day after my birthday so excitment for me was non-existant.  I remember having a terrible feeling in my gut and I couldn't tell why.  I figured I was just sick and I was going to try to make it to lunch time and see how I felt.  Lunch period was almost over and I still felt sick, so I was about to skip out on the rest of lunch and try to call my mom to get a ride home.  But I noticed one of my friends crying.  I went over expecting something about boy troubles, but I was sadly mistaken.
"Hey, whats wrong?" I asked.
"It's Sabrina..." my friend replied.  My heart sank and horror overcame me....I was terrified for the worst.
"Oh my God, what happened? Is she okay?" I asked frantically.
"She's dead."

At that moment I couldn't help but run to the trash can, I threw up, then I fell to the ground and sobed my eyes out.  Sabrina was the strongest person I ever met, and she will stay in my memory forever.  She passed by Matts side on November 30th 2010 around 10:30 in the morning.  She was layed to rest next to her mother.  She was burried in a white coffin in her satin green dress.  Astonishing with beauty.  My only regret is not saying one last goodbye, but I am happy that she is in peace and out of her pain.  Everyday I think my life sucks, I think of her and feel stronger.  She was an amazing, kind, beautiful, outgoing, peaceful, sweet young girl.  She will never be forgotten, and she will always be loved.  I, personally, can make that promise. 

In Loving Memory Of Sabrina Kay Parker- February 6th, 1994 to November 30th, 2010.
She was just to young to die...


No comments:

Post a Comment